Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Key features include support for a wide range of formats; no import required, which means native timeline editing; Support for Blackmagic Design for monitoring inputs and previews; and support for resolution up to 4k.
Modification of functionalities
- Trimming on source clip player or timeline with ripple option
- Add, insert, overwrite, lift and delete editing on timeline
- 3 point edition
- Hide, disable, and lock track controls
- Multitrack timeline with thumbnails and waveforms
- Unlimited undo and redo for playlist changes including a history view
- Create, read, modify, save, load, encode and distribute XML MLT projects (with automatic saving)
- Save and load the trimmed clip as an MLT XML file
- Load and Play a Complex MLT XML File as a Movie Clip
- Drag and drop files from the file manager
- Washing and transport control
- Video composition on multiple video tracks
- HTML5 (without audio and video) as video source and filters
- 3-way color wheels (shadows, midrange, highlights) for color correction and calibration
- Dropper tool for choosing a neutral color for white balance
- Automatic rotation
- Audio fade in / out and video fade in and out with easy to use fader controls on the timeline
- Video erasure transitions:
- bar, barn door, box, clock (radial), diagonal, iris, matrix and custom gradient image
- Track composition / merge modes:
- Over, Add, Saturer, Multiplier, Screen, Overlay, Darken, Dodge, Burn, Hard Light, Soft Light, Difference, Exclusion, HSL Hue, HSL Saturation, HSL Color, HSL Luminosity.
- Video filters:
- Alpha Channel: Adjust, Alpha Channel: Display, Blur, Brightness, Chroma Key: Advanced, Chroma Key: Single, Contrast, Color Calibration, Crop, Diffusion, Brightness, Invert Colors, Key Spill: Advanced, Key Spill: Single, Mirror, Old film: Dust, Old film: Grain, Old film: Projector, Old film: Stripes, Old film: Technocolor, Opacity, Rotation, Rutt-Etra-Izer, Saturation, Sepia, Sharpness, Size and position, Stabilize , Text, Vignette, Wave, White Balance
- Speed effect for audio / video clips
- Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input monitoring and preview
- Leap Motion for jog / shuttle control
- Webcam capture
- Capture audio to system audio card
- Capture (record) SDI, HDMI, webcam (V4L2), JACK audio, PulseAudio, IP stream, X11 display and Windows DirectShow devices
- Multicore parallel image processing (when not using GPU and image deletion is disabled)
- DeckLink SDI keyer output
- OpenGL GPU based image processing with linear 16-bit floating point per color component
Shotcut 21.10.31 changelog:
- Fixed export to MP4 or MOV may not give constant frame rate (broken in v21.09.20).
- Fixed Properties> Speed with GoPro .LRV proxy file (broken in v21.09.20).
- Fixed Export> Reset not deselecting a preset.
- Ctrl + Shift + V modified in text: easy to paste.
- Changed the color of an alert relative to proxy / preview-scaling status messages.
- Increased the time for some messages and added the ability to click on a message to reject it.
- Upgrade from FFmpeg to version 4.4.1.
- Added mask help message boxes: simple form, mask: from file and text: rich filters.
- Added Properties> Comments for color clips.
- Added Mask: Chroma Key filter for convenience, eg secondary color correction.
- Added support for multiple selected clips in cut, copy, paste, overwrite and add timeline operations.
- Copy only uses the system clipboard in this mode and does not appear in the source drive.
Adding markers to the timeline
- Click the toolbar button or press M the first time to add a marker to the playhead (current position) without dialogue.
- The markers appear in the time / track / line ruler at the top of the timeline.
- A marker displays a tooltip with its name and time when you hover the mouse over it.
- Click on a marker to search for it.
- Click the button on the toolbar or press M when the playhead is at the exact start time of a marker to open the Edit dialog where you can change the name, color, the start and end times.
- A color change is remembered for all new markers until they are changed.
- Right-click on a marker to open its context menu to Edit or Remove a marker.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + M when the playhead is at the exact start time of a marker to remove it.
- Drag a marker to move it.
- Ctrl + drag (command on macOS) a marker to change its duration (a marker longer than one
- frame is also called Range).
- Export> From lists all the ranges.
- The markers are saved in the project file and reloaded with the project XML into a
- Marker operations support undo and redo.
Be alerted of all our software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware
Report a problem with the article